Sunday, October 4, 2015

Time to reflect

It's such a busy world out there, isn't it? I was fortunate to have a few days off last week and enjoyed a beautiful lake surrounded by flowers and trees just beginning to show signs of their fall colors.
While I enjoyed the outdoors, I also took my sewing basket. Handwork is  an important way I spend time in reflection.

One of my very favorite things to do when I need time to think and plan is to crochet! My fingers know what to do and my mind can be free to wander. My favorite crochet project is hemstitching baby blankets, burp cloths and bibs. Hemstitching is an old technique where a special machine is used to punch holes at certain intervals at the edges of a piece and then overlock the edges for a finish to prevent raveling. Crochet edgings are then added for some bling.
Remember the old style pillow cases and table cloths with crochet edges? That is hemstitching!  Here is an example of a pre-prepared baby blanket and bib from Ammee and Co. that are hemstitched with crochet cotton. So fun to do. There are great crochet tutorials on YouTube and we also have examples at the shop. Now, you can even hemstitch with a regular sewing machine. There are large needles available specifically for punching the holes and the overlock is done with a combo zig-zag/overlock stitch. I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my sewing "bucket list".

Hope to see you soon,
Marilyn



No comments:

Post a Comment